Monday, September 3, 2012

Higher Education Learning

This is what the LORD says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow. Isaiah 48:17 NLT  

I came across this scripture today while visiting a favorite website of mine.  Although it is only one verse, it comes with a lot of punch to it!  While I am a personal lover of higher ed, of which my school loans can verify...it is amazing to think that the God who created heaven, earth and all that is in it, wants to teach us and take us down the very path He knows is best for us.  The KJV says He "...teaches you to profit, who leads you by the way you should go."  Ever feel like you go through life not knowing what to do, or how to go about doing it?  Ever feel like it's too late to learn things that can really help you succeed in life? Or have you ever felt like you keep making decisions that haven't quite panned out the way you'd hoped?  There is good news for you--we can have a confidence in a God who says He will instruct, train, goad or cause us to learn.  The Hebrew word used for 'teaches' is lamad, which can be traced to the goading of cattle.  What better way to be trained and taught by God, who not only has wisdom, but Who Is. 


At 43 years of age, I have both, bumbled through life, as well as have walked exactly where I was to be at the exact point in life where I should have been.  While all of us have a different journey, what we do have in common is that there is a path created specifically for each one of us.  If you have ever thought, "I wish I just knew what to do in this situation or what comes next...", you can.  Paul encourages us to "...imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." (Heb. 6:12)  When I don't know what to do, I don't first go to my google, I don't first go to Dr. Phil, I don't even first go to my most trusted companions.  When I don't know what to do, as David, a man's after God's heart, I inquire of the Lord.  Have I perfected this area?  Certainly not.  But when I get my instruction from Him first, then I can move forward with a confidence that isn't easily shaken--even by those who may seem to know best.  This concept of Him being our teacher came up again in my Bible-journal-reading earlier this week in Isaiah, which read "This also comes from the Lord of hosts, who is wonderful in counsel and excellent in guidance (sound wisdom)."  (v. 29)


Feel like you could use some real help?  I know of One whose counsel excels in guidance, is pure and just what you need.  People have said to me "I just need to go to an astrologer, fortune-teller, or need to get my palm read!"  STOP.  Go to God...and get your Psalms read!  Hear it firsthand from the first and only TRUE Guide that says, "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know." (Jeremiah 33:3)  It is time to stop looking to everyone and everything else and call out to Him.  But you feel awkward or weird, you say?  Or you don't feel worthy?  You are worthy.  Jesus did a work on the Cross for all of mankind.  His Word says, "For He made Him who knew no sin, to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." (2 Cor. 5:21) Not only does His work on the Cross make you righteous and worthy, but it gives us direct access to the Father.  The One who knows you better than you know yourself.  The One who loves you more than even the best love you can experience on earth.  This God--the One TRUE living God will not only answer you, but He wants to show you things to come, so that you can fulfill your destiny which He established for you before the foundations of the earth.  


Going to a counterfeit has never superseded the authentic.  Counterfeit wisdom will never lead you to a better place than the foreknowledge and teachings of my God.  Psalm 119 says, "Unless Your law had been my delight, I would then have perished in my affliction.  I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have given me life."  (vv. 92, 93)  His teachings, His ways and understanding give us life and life abundantly!  I am here to tell you that we can know not only what to do, but our God is faithful in giving us the 411 on the where, when and how.  So stop your fretting!  And before spending another dollar on your "How To..." book...Go to the One who knows the very number of hair on your head...not only does He know, but it is His delight and joy to teach you the next best thing you need to know for your life.  Go on...I dare you.  

All my love,

Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment